Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with TPI and "serbb" mode

From: David Mosberger
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with TPI and "serbb" mode
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 16:12:12 -0600

Joerg,

> OK.  Well, most TPI chips are quite small anyway, so that's certainly
> tolerable.

Yep.

My only concern with these patches is the D2XX driver. First, it is only
> available for some of  the OSes AVRDUDE runs on.
>
> More importantly, it is closed-source (correct me if I'm wrong), so we are
> not allowed to include it as long as the project is hosted at the FSF. I'm
> not sure about the source code itself, but at the very least, I could not
> provide Windows binaries that require the user to install closed-source
> software first. (Is linking GPL'ed software against such a library legal at
> all?, assuming the binary is to be redistributed.)

Yes, D2XX is closed source.  I only added compatiliby since the D2XX was
easier to install (at least for me, who doesn't normally work on Windows).

> An I correct the TPI patches itself will also work without D2XX?

That's correct.  You can leave out that patch without any ill effects.
>From my original email, it seems performance between libftdi1 and D2XX was
about the same:

*The last patch in this series adds support for the FTDI D2XX driver.  I
didn't see much difference in performance between D2XX
and libftdi1 for Windows, but from what I can see, it's far easier to
install the D2XX driver, so I think this is a useful option to have.*

  --david