[avrdude-dev] [bug #46461] Problems with lock bits with parallel program

From: mcudude
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #46461] Problems with lock bits with parallel programmer
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 23:09:25 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Mcudude
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hi!
I got an STK500 dev kit lying around, and wanted to add it as an ISP
programmer and a high voltage programmer option for the Arduino IDE. So far,
so good. The STK500 as ISP works without any problems what so ever. (I started
testing in Arduino IDE, but moved on by typing the commands directly into my
terminal window)

The problem is when I use the stk500pp setting. I want to keep the original
Arduino lock and unlock bits (0x0F, 0x3F), and be able to change fuses and
upload a bootloader. When I erase the attached microcontroller and set the
lock bit with this command:
avrdude -v -patmega32 -cstk500pp -P /dev/cu.UC-232AC -e -Ulock:w:0x3f:m
-Uhfuse:w:0xde:m -Ulfuse:w:0xa1:m

I get this error message at the bottom:
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xff != 0x3f
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

The exact same avrdude command, using "-cstk500" returns no error.

As far as I've understood, there is a problem with the 6th and 7th lock bit.
The HVPP tries to set the 7th and the 6th bit, but avrdude ignores these two
bits, and the written fuse bits are actually 0xFF. This gives a content
mismatch error.

Please have a look at this Arduino post, where the problem is discussed:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=359814.0

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?46461>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/