[avrdude-dev] [bug #40061] avrdude -U fails to save final FF bytes.

From: Bob Cunningham
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #40061] avrdude -U fails to save final FF bytes.
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 17:50:05 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: BobC
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I wanted to preserve the original content of a borrowed ATmega328p Arduino
before overwriting it for non-Arduino use.  I used both the Atmel Studio
utility and avrdude to obtain an image of the flash content.

Atmel Studio saved 32768 flash bytes to an Intel hex file.

"avrdude -p ATmega328p -c avrispmkII -P usb -U flash:r:flashSave.hex:i" saved
32750 flash bytes into an Intel hex file, 18 fewer bytes than Atmel Studio
saved.

The actual text file sizes were very different because the two programs use
different line lengths.  I used avr-objcopy to convert them to the same line
length, then compared them using diff.

Comparison of the files showed that avrdude failed to save the highest 18
bytes of flash, all of which were FF.

Both files contained identical information up to that point.

I next tried "avrdude -p ATmega328p -c avrispmkII -P usb -t", and at the
prompt entered "read flash 0 32768", and the upper 18 bytes were shown
correctly.

So avrdude "read" is able to read the full flash content.  Then why does "-U"
fail to save the last 18 "FF" bytes to the output hex file?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?40061>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/