[avrdude-dev] [bug #37768] Poll usbtiny 100 times at init time to handle

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #37768] Poll usbtiny 100 times at init time to handle low-clock devices
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:47:19 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #37768 (project avrdude):

> I wonder if this affects how it responds to the reset?

It probably does, but just the other way around: upon reset,
no application code is running, so the CPU clock is just
the clock as configured by the fuses (whatever it might be,
including the effect of the CKDIV8 fuse).

Maybe it's some other effect, like the device waking up
from sleep?

I don't pretend to fully understand the existing USBtinyISP
code though.  As I read it, it asserts /RESET rather early,
and that should certainly get the target into its
fuse-configured speed sooner or later.

If you can come up with a (firmware) testcase that
reproduces the issue, that would be welcome.  I'd like to
understand what's going on before changing the code (in
particular since I didn't write that code myself).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?37768>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/