Re: [avrdude-dev] warnings when building avrdude 6.0rc1 under CentOS 6.4

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] warnings when building avrdude 6.0rc1 under CentOS 6.4
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:49:22 +0200

As Galen Seitz wrote:

> While building avrdude 6.0rc1 under CentOS 6.4, I encountered the
> following warnings.  Are these to be expected?

Some of them yes, but not all of them.

Please file a bug report, as I won't be able to fix them right now.

> avr.c: In function 'avr_tpi_program_enable':
> avr.c:131: warning: passing argument 2 of 'pgm->cmd_tpi' discards
> qualifiers from pointer target type
> avr.c:131: note: expected 'unsigned char *' but argument is of type
> 'const unsigned char *'

This means argument 2 of the cmd_tpi method should be made expect
a pointer to const.  Not a big deal, but a number of files have to be
changed.

> fileio.c: In function 'elf2b':
> fileio.c:947: warning: 'elf_getshstrndx' is deprecated (declared at
> /usr/include/libelf.h:281)

I already changed that (replaced by elf_getshdrstrndx()).

> fileio.c:967: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 4
> has type 'size_t'
> fileio.c:1027: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size
> fileio.c:1027: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 5
> has type 'size_t'
> fileio.c:1057: warning: format '%d' expects type 'int', but argument 3
> has type 'size_t'

That's difficult.  C99 declares a new printf() format for size_t
("z"), but last time we've been there, Cygwin didn't have it.

We could probably work around it by providing a Cygwin hack.

> jtag3.c: In function 'jtag3_initialize':
> jtag3.c:850: warning: 'flashsize' may be used uninitialized in this function

Should not trigger in practice, but the compiler cannot know this.
(It would remain uninitialized indeed if someone created a config
entry that has no "flash" section.)

> pickit2.c: In function 'usb_open_device':
> pickit2.c:1170: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different size

It should probably print the pointer using the %p format.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/