[avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30559] Ft232 bit-bang support
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:26:21 +0000

Follow-up Comment #29, bug #30559 (project avrdude):

> I thought Microsoft had added a "posix compatibility layer"
> to windows over a decade ago.

Well, AFAIK this is only an optional add-on, so its actual
value is questionable.  Second, threads are optional in the
Posix model, so you can obtain a UNIX branding without even
implementing threads.  The UNIX process model (with fork and
pipes and all that) is much more portable, and under Unix,
the difference between a thread and a process, performance-
wise, is neglicible.

> I'm not an "autoconf" hero.

Neither am I.  Nevertheless, it's not rocket science.  There's
already a good number of tests around in configure.ac which
could be used as templates to craft your own test.

Of course, the most preferrable option would be to use native
Win32 threads when compiling for a Win32 environment.  Win32
used to have threads for many years (because their processes
are fast as snails), and the subset of threading features
used here is not very large.  Perhaps some code for that
could be "borrowed" from the pthreads-win32 package without
requiring it being present as an external package?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?30559>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/