Re: [avrdude-dev] Reset function for arduino

From: Josef Wolf
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Reset function for arduino
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:45:12 +0200

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 09:13:08AM +0200, David A. Mellis wrote:
> The schematics may have a resistor, but the boards shipped with a
> capacitor or nothing at all.  We've never used a resistor to connect
> RTS/DTR and RESET.

What about the people who have built their own HW based on those schematics?

> The problems that people have been having are because the Arduino IDE
> currently uses the "stk500v1" protocol in avrdude, which doesn't
> handle reset of RTS and DTR, not the "arduino" protocol that does.
> These problems should go away in Arduino 0019, in which the IDE will
> toggle both lines before doing uploading.

I have 0019 and I tried "arduino" protocol from avrdude/trunk _with_
a capacitor.

But there seem to be problems with the timing, too. I get pretty reliable
results with a delay of 3..3000 us. Starting from 3000us up to 80000us, it
gets unreliable in such a way that it works only once after I plug in the
USB port. Above 80000us, it starts getting reliable again.

Unfortunately, I don't have a scope to check what exactly is going on here.

Please see my other post on this thread.

> This is the same problem,
> I'm guessing, that Axel is having, which should go away with recent
> versions of avrdude that assert the lines on opening the port and
> deassert them on closing.

As I wrote above, I _have_ recent avrdude (checked out yesterday). This is
what my patch is based on.

> All of which is to say that this patch might not hurt, but I don't
> think it's necessary for any of the situations I've encountered.

So looks like I have a very special situation here... But nevertheless,
I'd like to know what might so special about my situation.