[avrdude-dev] [bug #30061] stk500 skips writing blocks of 0xff, even if

From: Adam Wolf
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #30061] stk500 skips writing blocks of 0xff, even if the part/page wasn't erased
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 22:50:00 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #30061 (project avrdude):

Sorry about this!  It's a little tricky when isolating issues where results
from the previous test can show up in the current one.

Anyway, I'm still a little confused, but I believe my issue is not actually
with avrdude, but with the Arduino IDE.

However, could you help explain one thing?  If I have a large array in
progmem filled with 0xFF, the array doesn't get written.  If I change one of
the 0xFF's to 0xFE, setting one of the bits to 0, the entire page around the
byte appears to be written correctly.

Does this sound right?

I looked at the verbose output from avrdude when writing both files, one with
an 0xFE and one without, and it looks like the one with exclusively 0xFF's in
the progmem array doesn't actually send the page consisting of 0xFFs.  This
pointed me to the stk500_is_page_empty function.  When I commented it out and
rebuilt, it *appeared* to work but after further testing tonight, it appears
it does not.

Given your comment from earlier today, I am still a little confused as to why
the array is "correctly" written when there's a single 0 bit thrown in the
middle.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?30061>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/