[avrdude-dev] avr32 now partially supported

From: David Hoerl
Subject: [avrdude-dev] avr32 now partially supported
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:36:47 -0400

I just checked additions to support avr32. Its quite shakey right now, as it uses many undocumented jtagice-mkii commands with unknown return codes. Essentially, it mimics what avr32program 4.0.0 does - to the best of my ability.

At this time, you can burn the flash. It has only been tested with 48,000 byte loads, but the code was modified to handle the full 500,000+ part.

It does not yet support read (or verify).

The syntax for the single hex file I have tested with is:

  avrdude -cjtagmkII_avr32 -Pusb -pucr2 -V -Uflash:w:firmware.hex

Occasionally it fails to fully burn the flash - rerun it and it normally succeeds the next run.

You can also do a chip_erase:

  avrdude -cjtagmkII_avr32 -Pusb -pucr2 -e

It cannot do a chip_erase AND a burn on the same line - code needs to prevent the attempt but does not yet.

---

To try it out, you will need to pull source, then bootstrap + configure + make - you don't need to install if you put the following in your .avrduderc file (if you do install it will be in the standard config file)

programmer
  id    = "jtagmkII_avr32";
  desc  = "Atmel JTAG ICE mkII";
  baudrate = 115200;
  type  = jtagmkii_avr32;
;

#------------------------------------------------------------
# AVR32UC3A0512
#------------------------------------------------------------

part
    id          = "ucr2";
    desc        = "32UC3A0512";
    signature   = 0xED 0xC0 0x3F;
    has_jtag    = yes;
    is_avr32    = yes;

    memory "flash"
        paged           = yes;
        page_size       = 512;               # bytes
        num_pages       = 1024 ;             # numeric
        size            = 0x00080000;
        offset          = 0x80000000;
        readsize        = 512;
    ;