Re: [avrdude-dev] Debug Output for AVR910 programmer mode

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Debug Output for AVR910 programmer mode
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 20:20:41 +0200

As Dean Camera wrote:

> I'm currently developing a CDC class USB bootloader for the USB AVR
> microcontrollers, which uses the AVR910 (AKA AVR109) serial
> protocol.

Both are /not/ the same protocols.  Please use AVR109 rather than
AVR910.  Not only that AVR109 is guaranteed to have a block transfer
mode, but it no longer suffers from the idiotic device code saga: the
device code is just moot there (and could even be left out), because
the signature byte is to be used for device identification instead.

> What I'm looking for is a "debug" mode for AVRDUDE, ...

-vvvv (four -v options).  Note that all debugging IO goes to stderr
(rather than stdout), so you have to capture file descriptor 2 in
order to record the debugging output into a file.  This works like

avrdude ... 2> debug.log

Works both under a (Bourne-style) Unix shell, as well as under WinNT's
cmd.exe.  No chance to get it working at all for MS-DOS' command.com
though.