Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and FT2232

From: mrnice
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and FT2232
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:42:47 -0700 (PDT)

Ville Voipio-2 wrote:

> The problem here is that direct bit-banging on USB is very slow. On the
> other hand, numerous USB dongles (such as Olimex USB-JTAG, Amontec)
> utilize the same chip, FT2232. This chip has the MPSSE engine which
> talks both SPI and JTAG rather fast when configured correctly.
>
> Now my intention is to implement this functionality into avrdude (=
> support for FTDI2232-based MPSSE). However, before doing anything, I
> would like to know I am doing the right thing.

Hi,

i've already done than. at least for avr devices (tested with ATmega8, 16 &
32) and using avrdude 5.4.
If there's some interest in my code, i would port it to avrdude 5.5, clean
it a little bit up (actually it is quite a hack ;)) and add some comments.

It runs however on linux and should on os x, however i have no intention to
test/develop for windows.

cheers,

mrnice