[avrdude-dev] Re: STK500v2 Programmers (was Hello)

From: Mike Perks
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: STK500v2 Programmers (was Hello)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:02:49 -0500

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
AVR910 device codes are a hopeless mess.  As I already explained on
avrfreaks.net, my major concern with the existing avr910 module is to
keep it backwards compatible so it won't break for all those
programmers that are already in the field.
Although Atmel is no longer using device codes, all AVRDude needs is a device code in the conf file for a part that corresponds to the signature returned from the device and everything else is derived from the rest of the part specification in the conf file. I have submitted a defect to get some minor errors resolved in the AVR910 device codes.
Could we convince you to upgrade your programmer to some STK500v2
firmware?  That would solve that device code mess once and forever.
My programmer uses a Tiny2313 (actually I have a AT90S2313 as well). It looks like STK500v2 programmers need a minimum of 4K flash so they will not fit in my current hardware. As an experiment I also built a USBTiny programmer as well (which is also based on a Tiny2313, of course).

I'm not sure that upgrading my programmer to some STK500v2 firmware would "solve that device code mess once and forever". I understand the sentiment but that's a little bit hopeful isn't it :-)
Regards,
Mike