[avrdude-dev] [bug #22520] Programming Tiny25 with AVR-Prog AVR109 style

From: Holger Metschulat
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #22520] Programming Tiny25 with AVR-Prog AVR109 style programmers does not work
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 04:00:49 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Holger Metschulat
        Originator Email:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

In butterfly.c, when opening the connection to the programmer device, the
device capability list is requested with "t", but then the device to use (sent
to the programmer with "T") is selected as just the first of the received
capability list.

While this may be feasible with bootloaders (that don't really need the T
command), using the butterfly fast programming routines is not possible e.g.
with a Tiny25 and an external programmer, like the AVR-Prog AVR910 from Klaus
Leidinger using -c avr109 or -c butterfly.

In my case the programmer sent the 2313 as the first item back to avrdude, so
avrdude set the 2313 (device code 13) as the device to program, however, with
that setting, flashing a Tiny25 did not work with -c avr109 (but worked with
the slow -c avr901 routines).

My suggestion would be to either create a new avr109 programmer device that
sends a device code to the programmer ("T" command) derived from avrdude.conf
(avr910_devcode) or to modify butterfly.c appropriately if that does not
interfere with bootloader devices (I have none to verify). I have tested
modifying butterfly_initialize() comparable to what avr910_initialize() does
when selecting the device and it worked for the Tiny25. Diff available if
deemed necessary.

Cheers,

Holger

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?22520>