Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrisp mkII osx

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrisp mkII osx
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:33:37 +0200

As steve daniels wrote:

> avrdude -p m8 -P usb -c avrispmkII -t -b 115200

They don't write it anywhere, but this bootloader doesn't look like
implementing STK500v2 protocol (which would be expected by the
avrispmkII programmer type), but STK500v1, so you need to use -c
stk500v1.

Also, -P usb is only possible for those (Atmel-style) devices that
talk the Atmel USB protocol directly, which is typically performed by
a NXP (formerly Philips) USB PHY chip on the board.  As far as I can
figure out, the communication on your board is handled by an FTDI
FT232 chip.  This one is not handled directly by avrdude.  Instead,
you have to install a driver into your operating system which makes
the connection look like a standard serial connection (that driver
might already be there, I don't know), and then you'll have to use the
respective /dev/XXX device that corresponds to that driver.