[avrdude-dev] avrdude elf implimentation

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: [avrdude-dev] avrdude elf implimentation
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:58:43 -0300

Hello,

I decided to start a new thread for technical discussions of the new avrdude
feature where it can read ELF files, from the "[avr-gcc-list] Re:
[avrdude-dev] [RFC] avrdude Feature  RequestandCall for Volunteers".

One thing I noticed is this:

If we add new sections to the ELF file, won't it break old makefiles? Mostly
the copy of ELF files to HEX. This part of the Makefile does the copy:

%.hex: %.elf
        @echo
        @echo $(MSG_FLASH) $@
        $(OBJCOPY) -O $(FORMAT) -R .eeprom $< $@

This copies everything EXCEPT for the .eeprom section. So when more sections
are added, we either have to change the Makefile to remove those sections
too, or change how the copy is done....

Any ideas?

Regards,

 -Colin