[avrdude-dev] Re: Compiling on a Mac

From: Tyler Williams
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: Compiling on a Mac
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 00:22:59 +0000 (UTC)

Phillip Heller <pheller <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Howdy folks,
>
>   I tried the 5.1 release with a fink installed libusb (0.1.4.4) on
> Mac OS X 10.4.8.
>
> Compilation went just fine, and my avrisp2 is detected fine with -P
> usb.  However, the application seems to freeze there.
> Ideas?

Yeah, I was in the same boat, but I've managed
to make it work. Here's how: Iwent through
all the usual business of getting Fink and
enabling the unstable branch then installing avrdude.
Unfortunately, fink installs avrdude-5.1 and
while it recognizes the AVRISP2, it doesn't do much else.

So, I grabbed the avrdude-5.2 source from
the website: http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/
avrdude/ and then I modified an avrdude.info file
I found online to tell fink how to build the source,
generally following the instructions I found here:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2005/11/29/
fink.html (pages 2 and 3 are the heart of it).
My modified avrdude.info file can be found here:
http://tylerw.mit.edu/~tylerw/avr/ but it's fairly
easy to figure out yourself. Anyway, so you move the
avrdude.info file to /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo/ ,
then move the source file to /sw/src/ then tell
fink to build it with "fink build avrdude" .
Once it's built successfully, you install it with "fink install
avrdude." That's it, you're done. Fink has
installed avrdude 5.2 in /sw, and everything works as it
should after that! (for me anyway). Hope this helps you!