Re: [avrdude-dev] DFU support for avrdude

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] DFU support for avrdude
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 21:01:27 +0200

As Eric Weddington wrote:

> > I've the source code and I'd like to share it. What do you think?

> If it's a patch to avrdude then please open a Patch Tracker on the
> avrdude project in Savannah and post your code there.

I didn't look into it yet, but given the way I interpret Javier's
mails so far is that it's currently just a standalone tool.
Integrating it into AVRDUDE will certainly require some work then.
The first would be to get acquainted to the structure of a
"programmer" implementation in AVRDUDE, and that can best be done by
looking at the existing ones.  Basically, each programmer type
implements a basic set of functions to talk to an AVR its way.  As the
traditional AVRDUDE approach used to be that each programmer just
offered an entry to issue a generic SPI command (besides the usual
maintainence stuff like open/close/programming enable and such), and
the generic code then implemented all the SPI commands on top of that,
it's better to use one of the recent non-SPI implementations as the
template to look at, like one of the JTAG implementations or maybe
also the USBasp one.  They implement all the primitives that are
required for this.

But for sure, being able to handle the AT90USBKEY would be a nice
addition to AVRDUDE (and I've seen more people asking for it than
those who yelled: "Yeah!" in this thread).