[avrdude-dev] avrdude - usb - jtagmkii - windows no workie

From: Pink Boy
Subject: [avrdude-dev] avrdude - usb - jtagmkii - windows no workie
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 03:48:59 -0700 (PDT)

Umm..

I'm having a problem getting avrdude to talk to my AvrjtagmkII
under winders.  Below is the command string and the error message
I receive.

---
 C:\WinAVR\bin>avrdude -c jtagmkII -pm16 -P usb:xxx -v

 avrdude: Version 5.1
          Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean,
 http://www.bdmicro.com/

          System wide configuration file is
 "C:\WinAVR\bin\avrdude.conf"

          Using Port            : usb:xxx
          Using Programmer      : jtagmkII
 avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "usb:xxx": The system cannot

 find the file specified.

 C:\WinAVR\bin>
---

So what seems like is happening is avrdude accepts the correct
programmer jtagmkii from the command line and the 'port' in this
case usb:xxx.

However, the error message appears like it's coming from the
serial port init routine, not the usb init routine.  Because the
of the 'ser_open' bit.  As opposed to the error from usb_libusb.c

    fprintf(stderr, "%s: usbdev_open(): did not find any%s USB
    device \"%s\"\n", progname, serno? " (matching)": "", port);

Umm....

Reading the code jtagmkii.c is looks like it compares the first
three characters of the 'port' option with 'usb' and if true then
sets ser_dev to usb_blah.  So I would expect that I shouldn't be
getting the ser_open() error, but I do.

So this means either it seems, that

a) There is no support to USB under winders, at least for the
   jtagmkii.  (I suspect)
b) There's a bug in avrdude. (maybe)
c) I ain't doing something right. (most always)

Anyone have an idea of which it is?

Note: My jtagmkII works with avrstudio with usb.  Avrdude on my
system works with a third party stk500 clone.  I get the same error
on my other computer at work.

Mr Foo
---
Up way too late since 1810