[avrdude-dev] Searching for avrdude compatible bootloader for atmega16

From: Michael Giambalvo
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Searching for avrdude compatible bootloader for atmega16
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:25:17 -0500

I've been looking for a bootloader for my atmega16 board for some time
now.  I tried the one here (
http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/#avrprog_boot ).
However, I had several problems with it.

1) The signature was reported backwards ( correct bytes, just in reverse order )
2) It reads every eeprom location as 3f
3) This bootloader, which is supposed to be AVRPROG and AVR910
compatible, gives the atmega16 dev code 0x75 and the atmega169 code as
0x79, while in the avrdude.conf file these are 0x74 and 0x75 for the
avr910, respectively.

I'm hoping these problems are all indicative of some simple mistake
I'm making.  Also, is there some way for me to see exactly what
avrdude is putting out and getting back over the serial port?  Even -v
-v doesn't seem to get me that info.

Finally, can anyone recommend a bootloader that works with avrdude,
compiles under gcc, and works on atmega16s?  That would solve all my
problems straight away.