Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:41:20 -0500

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:33:14PM -0800, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Jan-Hinnerk Reichert wrote:
>
> > perhaps a atmega128 is not the best candidate for the test ;-)))
> >
> > If I'm not mistaken the code in question is _never_ hit during
> > programming a paged memory.

Duh, of course!  :-)

> Ok, I've re-done my tests with a 8515. Here are the results:
>
> Test file is 7782 bytes (attached for those interested).
>
> latest cvs (no patches)         2m36.5 s
>
> Then with my gettimeofday() mod to Jan-Hinnerk's patch:
>                                 25.269 s

Excellent!  This is more like it!

> Attached is what I think should be committed. It's trivial to add
> the sched_yield() call if someone thinks that is really needed.

Looks good to me.  IMHO, I don't think it's all that important to be
nice and call sched_yield().  Most folks using AVRDUDE are using it on
their own personal system, not shared with others.  Also, the OS can
switch us out based on its own scheduling algorithms.  And on top of
that, if someone finds that other processes are sluggish while running
AVRDUDE, they can always 'nice' it when they invoke it.

And besides, with these changes we may be able to claim one of the
faster programming times :-) Did you get a chance to try the test
using the STK500 for comparison?  Should be real close now.

We may have to do a special release RSN to get these changes out there
:-)

-Brian
--
Brian Dean