Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Bad programming speed on AT90S8535 using AVRdude
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:55:34 +0100

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 04:36, Brian Dean wrote:

> The reason it always waits at least the min_delay is that, well,
> that's the minimum programming time according to the data sheet :-)

The reason for polling is to be faster than that ;-)

> The effectiveness of your patch will depend on the granularity of
> the usleep() call.  I expect that its effectiveness will vary
> depending on what OS is being used, and possibly can be tuned,
> i.e., in FreeBSD I think we can set the kernel HZ value higher to
> get finer timing resolution, but I'll have to check on that.  Linux
> probably has something similar.

An alternative is to remove the delay and check for the expiration of
max_write_delay using gettimeofday().

Or estimate the time needed for a read ;-(

Or don't check at all and let avrdude hang, if programming fails...

> Thanks for the patch - it should help, once we get it tested.

You are welcome. Anyway, I hope it works as expected...

/Jan-Hinnerk