[avrdude-dev] giveio

From: E. Weddington
Subject: [avrdude-dev] giveio
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:33:53 -0700

On 21 Feb 2003 at 9:55, E. Weddington wrote:

> I'm also considering a major change to the Windows ppi. Currently I
> have to use this giveio driver in conjunction with avrdude to access
> the serial ports.

Well that was quick and humbling.

Won't work. giveio is it.

Windows traps all user access to parallel port. You can open up the
parallel port using Win32 API but you're restricted to the ECP / EPP
protocols. If you want something different, you have to write a
device driver, which requires yada yada yada. giveio is a device
driver that can provide user processes with access to the parallel
port directly.

Eric