PROGMEM doesn't work right from bootloader?

From: Britton Kerin
Subject: PROGMEM doesn't work right from bootloader?
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 15:19:09 -0800

Am I right?

This probably shouldn't come as a surprise but I have for years my own
stuff for debugging on terminal that uses AVR libc printf_P etc. so it
was :(

Afterall __attribute__((__progmem__)) is compile-time and the only
thing that tells the bootloader base flash address goes to the linker
so I guess there's probably no trick to make this work?

Since avr libc does include both <avr/boot.h> and  <avr/pgmspace.h>
this issue could get a mention in the latter.

Britton