[bug #35483] ./configure does not accept --target

From: Josef Wolf
Subject: [bug #35483] ./configure does not accept --target
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 07:49:28 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #4, bug #35483 (project avr-libc):

[comment #3 comment #3:]
> this bug is invalid and should be closed.  avr-libc is behaving correctly.

Sorry, I tend to disagree: it is NOT behaving correctly.

> for documentation on the arguments, please see:

https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.69/html_node/Specifying-Target-Triplets.html#Specifying-Target-Triplets

According to this documentation, there are up to three systems involved with
cross-compilers:

--build specifies the system which builds the toolchain.

--host specifies the system which executes the toolchain.

--target specifies the system which executes the code that the toolchain
generated.

Thus, when building a toolchain on a linux which is meant to run on windows to
generate code for avr, the correct specification would be:

  --target=avr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-windows

or something. After all, the AVR is not executing the toolchain. It is
executing the code which is generated by the toolchain.

The semantic of --host=avr is to build a toolchain which is running on the
AVR. I doubt that anybody is really trying to do such a thing...

Every other tool in the world specifies it this way.

BTW: while at it: the configure script also don't accept the target as a
TRIPLET. That is: configure will fail when the target is specified as
avr-XXX-YYY

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35483>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/