[avr-libc-dev] [bug #50811] using -Wl, -u, vfprintf -lprintf_min causes

From: anonymous
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #50811] using -Wl, -u, vfprintf -lprintf_min causes program to grow a lot
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 17:04:22 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #7, bug #50811 (project avr-libc):

If that's the case, why provide an optimized version of printf() for constant
strings at all?  I guess maybe it happens inevitably due to compiler
machinations.

Anyway, at least one person (me) hit this issue and it took me some time to
find the culprit.  I set LDFLAGS for the printf_min long ago with the idea of
generally keeping program size low, and this turns out to be a very poor
general policy.  The current docs don't give any indication of this, while
they do describe smaller savings related to vfprintf choice in the presence of
printf().  That's inconsistent and somewhat misleading.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?50811>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/