[avr-libc-dev] [bug #50811] using -Wl, -u, vfprintf -lprintf_min causes

From: Dave Hylands
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #50811] using -Wl, -u, vfprintf -lprintf_min causes program to grow a lot
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 15:19:56 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #5, bug #50811 (project avr-libc):

I guess my point is that this statement (by itself) is false:

"Note that if your program doesn't end up calling vfprintf(), using the
printf_min linker flags will increase code size because it forces the
vfprintf() function to be included even though it isn't used."

It's only when both options are used together that you get that behaviour.

I think using -Wl,-u,vfprintf is incorrect and there is no need to use that
option unless you want to keep unused code in your image.

Personally, I'd find the behaviour of keeping unused code in the image to be
the confusing behaviour, not the fact that my debug builds are considerably
larger than my release builds.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?50811>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/