Re: [avr-libc-dev] Support for AtMega328pb

From: Pitchumani Sivanupandi
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Support for AtMega328pb
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2017 14:25:30 +0530

On Wednesday 08 February 2017 01:16 PM, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As address@hidden wrote:

We have spent quite some effort into detaching part support from
other toolchains and libraries. In doing this we can more easily
release support for new parts and fix bugs in the existing part
support. Part support is now distributed in CMSIS-compatible packs
that are available on http://packs.download.atmel.com/ .
Well, that doesn't help people expecting the respective support
already being part of the native toolchain though.

Can Microchip at least grant us permission to back-integrate their
header files here?  I assume they still have the usual 3-clause
BSD-like copyright statement, so it wouldn't be a legal issue to have
them here.
I think there is no change in licensing terms after Microchip
acquisition.
It would be easier if we could blindly copy the Atmel generated
headers and overwrite avr-libc headers. But there are compatibility
issues to replace avr-libc headers. We may need to figure out a way
to resolve this before start committing the generated headers.
It is also worth nothing that avr-gcc moving away from hard-coding
device specific details.

Regards,
Pitchumani