Re: [avr-libc-dev] Even faster decimal code

From: George Spelvin
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Even faster decimal code
Date: 28 Dec 2016 13:40:22 -0500

> I find all this fascinating, but I'm really not the one to be commenting on
> what the best approach here is.  I will say, however, that in many of my
> applications, I would be more likely to chose a speed increase over reduced
> memory.  I tend to live with mostly compute-bound, control applications
> though.

Thank you very much, this is very useful!  Even if it's just one person's
experience, at least it's *a* data point.

May I ask, whay do you think of my RAM-for-ROM tradeoff idea?
Is there one or the other that you more commonly run out of?

> I've not had enough time to look at the code to make fine-grained
> suggestions (and I'm out of practice with AVR ASM), but I've not felt that
> the comments were too bad.  I've been able to follow the code as written
> easily enough.

Yes, my original algorithm was excessively tricky.  The last (and
fastest) one is actually a lot simpler.