Re: [avr-libc-dev] Testsuite (Was: How attached are people ...)

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Testsuite (Was: How attached are people ...)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 20:55:58 +0100

As George Spelvin wrote:

> > Ah OK.  Then I missed it, somehow.
>
> Here's my patch.

Thanks, committed.

>  (ObLegalese: Yes, *of course* I grant permission for
> this, and anything else I post to avr-libc-dev, to be distributed under
> the terms of the 3-clause BSD license in the LICENSE file.)

Thanks for this, too.  It's probably not important in the case of this
small patch, but for larger things, certainly good to know.  Of
course, in case you submit entirely new files, please add your name as
the author on top then.

> BTW, is there a reason avr-libc doesn't use the "__flash" gcc extension?
> It's so much more convenient than __attribute__((progmem)).

It's old enough. ;-)

We usually tend to not abandon older compiler versions (which might not
yet understand __flash) very quickly.  Of course, release 2.0 would
have been an occasion to abandon these versions, but we didn't.

For the test bench, it would be OK though to use __flash, as it is not
intended to be used by "end customers".
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/