[avr-libc-dev] [patch #8587] Move device specific functions to libdev.a

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [patch #8587] Move device specific functions to libdev.a
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 21:05:12 +0000

Follow-up Comment #6, patch #8587 (project avr-libc):

> For backward compatibility with older compiler versions:
> avr-libc build mechanism can detect gcc version and
> configure either old libs or libdev.a. Is this option ok?

Yes, I was already about to suggest this.

Without such an option, by our own standards[*], we'd have
to bump the major version number due to a change in the API.
In consequence, this would also mean to maintain an SVN
branch for the old revision line for some time, and to merge
all important bug fixes from trunk to the branch.  We used
to do this in the past, but it's quite a bit of work.

[*] http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/release_method.html

However, if the autoconf stuff can detect whether the compiler
used supports automatic libdev.a inclusion or not, and the
build adapts to it, the change is going to be smooth enough
so anyone compiling a toolchain (e.g. Linux distribution
maintainers) will get a consistent toolchain without breaking
the user interface.

To get me right: I'm not opposed to the change as such, I've
never been really happy with the way the EEPROM functions
have been done so far.  This was just a stop-gap measure
introduced by its time to work around other problems, while
libdev.a + an appropriate compiler modification is certainly
much more elegant.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8587>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/