Re: [avr-libc-dev] correction in xmega wdt_enable/ wdt_enable

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] correction in xmega wdt_enable/ wdt_enable
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:43:44 +0200

As S, Pitchumani wrote:

> Bit 0 - SYNCBUSY
> When writing to the CTRL or WINCTRL registers, the WDT needs to be
> synchronized to the other clock domains. During synchronization the
> SYNCBUSY bit will be read as one. This bit is automatically cleared after
> the synchronization is finished. Synchronization will only take place
> when the ENABLE bit for the Watchdog Timer is set.

I don't read any requirements out of this to wait until SYNCBUSY is
cleared before being allowed to execute a WDR instruction (which is
what your implementation does).

As I read it, SYNCBUSY only has informational value: it turns '1' by
the time the WEN ("the ENABLE bit") is set, until the watchdog has
synchronized, when it will go '0' again.

But I agree that the wording is not completely unambiguous.  Anyway,
if one is required to wait until SYNCBUSY is '0' before executing a
WDR, I think the manual should very clearly state it that way.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/