Re: [avr-libc-dev] libsupc++ work

From: Jeremy Bennett
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] libsupc++ work
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:26:34 +0000

On 24/03/14 21:49, David Brown wrote:
> On 24/03/14 19:56, Jeremy Bennett wrote:

>>> I'm very happy to hear there's finally people interested in getting
>>> all this to work (you, Joern, Ahmed)!

>>> Why wait?  There won't be anyone other than you who could finally
>>> integrate it into the avr-libc tree.  My time budget simply doesn't
>>> allow me to take over even more responsibilities, and frankly, you
>>> appear to be the experts in that field already anyway.
>>>
>>>  From my point of view, just join the project, and start integrating
>>> the required changes into the avr-libc tree right now, rather than
>>> waiting any longer, and the offering a large megapatch.  It's not
>>> necessary that it be complete in any way straight from the beginning.
>>>
>> Hi Joerg,
>>
>> That is good to know. I'll make sure Joern knows to contribute as soon
>> as he has changes ready.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>

>> Jeremy
>>

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> I can't answer for avr-libc in particular, but many open source projects
> prefer to have multiple small patches, each fixing a particular issue,
> rather than a single large patch.  If it turns out that there is a
> mistake or disagreement about one of the fixes, it is then possible to
> omit (or unroll) the problem patch while leaving everything else fixed.

Hi Dave,

I agree fully, and Joern will do this. I only meant that we don't want
to submit until any patch has been through regression testing to make
sure it doesn't break anything.

> Another big benefit of patching often, early, and small is that it makes
> it easier to collaborate with others - there are few enough people
> working on the AVR gcc toolchain as it is, so it is important that
> people don't secretly work independently on the same issues.  Open
> source is primarily about keeping the development work out in the open!

Fully agree - our remit from Atmel is to work completely in the open. Up
until now we've been working on GCC itself, and so those have gone to
the GCC mailing list. You'll see quite a few patches from Joern recently
there. But clearly for AVR LibC we need to work here.

> Anyway, thanks for working on this - it's good to see new people moving
> the project forward, and perhaps giving Joerg a well-earned rest.  In
> particular, I think it is exciting to see C++ support improving - with
> the release of C++11 and its support in gcc, I believe we now have a C++
> that is a lot more suited to embedded development.

Glad to do our bit. Hope to see the first patches here soon.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

--
Tel:      +44 (1590) 610184