Re: [avr-libc-dev] Faster integer division

From: Ambroz Bizjak
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Faster integer division
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 18:15:07 +0200

I've done some further optimization, now it's even faster and uses 4
registers less (but needs >=r16 for the result due to the use of
immediate operands). Even better, there are now only 4 kinds of
iterations (4 macros). The code is here http://ideone.com/EGWcuI and
pasted below.

I've calculated that my division takes 384 instructions in the worst
case. I've also disassembled a compiled program where gcc did the
division (-O4, the attached program, just changed the main func), see
here http://ideone.com/jZNxkF . I see that the call to __udivmodsi4
really hasn't been inlined, but the extra instructions are almost
negligible. In my calculations the gcc division takes 653 instructions
in the worst case (may be a bit off), excluding the call entry and
exit. Put simply, my code takes 58% time compared to gcc's division.
When I said 2/3 previously, I was referring to relative times, not
probabilities, but this was in a benchmark so it appeared slower due
to the testing code.

The sources of speedup in my algorithm seem to be:
1. Algorithm on the high level. In each iteration, gcc does four
32-bit operations (add, compare, subtract, add) in the worst case. I
only do three (shift, compare, subtract).
2. Optimization of groups of 8 iterations. This allows removing some
instructions where some operands are known to be zero.
3. Unrolling individual iterations.

About code size, yes, the algorithm I attached here is indeed much
larger. However, I believe we can compact it into four loops and still
be faster than gcc (points 1 and 2 above would still apply). I think
the result would be about twice the size of gcc algorithm. Even
compacting it to one loop should still be faster than gcc due to point
1.

I don't really know when a faster but larger algorithm should be used
by gcc, this is part of the reason why I'm posting here. The -Os flag
is probably one thing to look for, but we need to consider than people
may not want a giant division code even at other optimization levels.
Perhaps more specific flags could be used to control the division
algorithm? On the other hand, if the large algorithm goes into an
inline function in avr-libc, how do we make sure people can find it?

#include <stdint.h>

#define DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(i) \
"    lsl %D[n]\n" \
"    rol __tmp_reg__\n" \
"    cp __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    cpc __zero_reg__,%B[d]\n" \
"    cpc __zero_reg__,%C[d]\n" \
"    cpc __zero_reg__,%D[d]\n" \
"    brcs zero_bit_" #i "__%=\n" \
"    sub __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    ori %D[q],1<<(7-" #i ")\n" \
"zero_bit_" #i "__%=:\n"

#define DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(i) \
"    lsl %C[n]\n" \
"    rol __tmp_reg__\n" \
"    rol %D[n]\n" \
"    cp __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    cpc %D[n],%B[d]\n" \
"    cpc __zero_reg__,%C[d]\n" \
"    cpc __zero_reg__,%D[d]\n" \
"    brcs zero_bit_" #i "__%=\n" \
"    sub __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    sbc %D[n],%B[d]\n" \
"    ori %C[q],1<<(15-" #i ")\n" \
"zero_bit_" #i "__%=:\n"

#define DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(i) \
"    lsl %B[n]\n" \
"    rol __tmp_reg__\n" \
"    rol %D[n]\n" \
"    rol %C[n]\n" \
"    cp __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    cpc %D[n],%B[d]\n" \
"    cpc %C[n],%C[d]\n" \
"    cpc __zero_reg__,%D[d]\n" \
"    brcs zero_bit_" #i "__%=\n" \
"    sub __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    sbc %D[n],%B[d]\n" \
"    sbc %C[n],%C[d]\n" \
"    ori %B[q],1<<(23-" #i ")\n" \
"zero_bit_" #i "__%=:\n"

#define DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(i) \
"    lsl %A[n]\n" \
"    rol __tmp_reg__\n" \
"    rol %D[n]\n" \
"    rol %C[n]\n" \
"    rol %B[n]\n" \
"    cp __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    cpc %D[n],%B[d]\n" \
"    cpc %C[n],%C[d]\n" \
"    cpc %B[n],%D[d]\n" \
"    brcs zero_bit_" #i "__%=\n" \
"    sub __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n" \
"    sbc %D[n],%B[d]\n" \
"    sbc %C[n],%C[d]\n" \
"    sbc %B[n],%D[d]\n" \
"    ori %A[q],1<<(31-" #i ")\n" \
"zero_bit_" #i "__%=:\n"

static inline uint32_t divide (uint32_t n, uint32_t d)
{
    uint32_t q = 0;

    asm(
        "clr __tmp_reg__\n"
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(0)
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(1)
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(2)
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(3)
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(4)
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(5)
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(6)
        DIVIDE_ITER_0_7(7)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(8)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(9)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(10)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(11)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(12)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(13)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(14)
        DIVIDE_ITER_8_15(15)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(16)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(17)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(18)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(19)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(20)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(21)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(22)
        DIVIDE_ITER_16_23(23)
        DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(24)
        DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(25)
        DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(26)
        DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(27)
        DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(28)
        DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(29)
        DIVIDE_ITER_24_30(30)
        "    lsl %A[n]\n"
        "    rol __tmp_reg__\n"
        "    rol %D[n]\n"
        "    rol %C[n]\n"
        "    rol %B[n]\n"
        "    cp __tmp_reg__,%A[d]\n"
        "    cpc %D[n],%B[d]\n"
        "    cpc %C[n],%C[d]\n"
        "    cpc %B[n],%D[d]\n"
        "    sbci %A[q],-1\n"

        : [q] "=&a" (q),
          [n] "=&r" (n)
        : "[q]" (q),
          "[n]" (n),
          [d] "r" (d)
    );

    return q;
}

// instructions:
// 4 (init q) + 1 + 8 * 9 + 8 * 11 + 8 * 13 + 7 * 15 + 10 = 384

volatile uint32_t test1;
volatile uint32_t test2;
volatile uint32_t test3;

int main ()