Re: [avr-libc-dev] Time library

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Time library
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:58:10 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> With avr-libc, where the functions are implementing some standard,
> we try to adhere to that standard.

There's no problem with those parts that adhere to the (C89/99)
standard.

The only issue is about those couple of functions that go beyond.

I tend to agree with Mike, and accept them as they are.

> We should not have to create a configuration switch --without-time,
> because that also implies we should create a configuration switch
> for every single API grouping in avr-libc; that's just ridiculous.

In particular, it would require users to recompile/reinstall the
library.

If at all, the "offending" extensions could be made invisible by
some preprocessor macro, like __AVR_DISABLE_TIME_EXTENSIONS__.

OTOH, users have been living without <time.h> (and the respective
library functions) for many years, so now that it's there, it's
probably reasonable to expect them to accept it the way it is,
including the extensions.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/