Re: [avr-libc-dev] Time library

From: Michael Rice
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Time library
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:54:03 -0400

A question has arisen about the possibility of 'collisions' of application defined functions, with the avr-libc time functions.

Is this something we should worry about? Personally I do not think it will be an important issue, but I would like to have the opinion of the developers.

I spent some time on Google, searching various combinations of time, time.h, atmel, avr, atmega, time(), time_t and mktime(). I did not find much, mostly complaints that time.h is not implemented in avr- libc.: {

My personal ( read: biased! ) opinion is to implement time.h more or less as-is, and provide a configuration switch, --without-time perhaps.

Another palliative may be to split time.h into ephemera.h, time_extras.h, and time.h... or something along those lines.

A third palliative is to prefix all our functions, for example with avr_. I really don't like that one.

I would like to hear the opinion of others on this issue, perhaps some has a better solution.

===

In other news, I have rearranged some things, added copyright and $ID $to each file, and have a good start on the Doxygen stuff, its really going faster than what I expected!