Re: [avr-libc-dev] 1.8.1?

From: Erik Walthinsen
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] 1.8.1?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 14:52:13 -0800

On 11/29/2012 02:06 PM, Weddington, Eric wrote:
XMega device support is coming out of Atmel. I'm reviewing a second draft of
patches for binutils at the moment. Joerg and Georg-Johann have been reviewing
this patches as well.
So, that means no support for over half of all devices available on the market today (digikey carries 37 models, trunk supports 17) in 1.8.1? When can these binutils and gcc patches be expected, and when would the next avr-libc release be after those are available?

Regarding device support, I would hold off doing any work until I can confirm
that everything is in order for gcc and avr-libc.
I really don't have that option, since I'm shipping products based on chips that are not supported in this toolchain. I have to maintain my own patches to all the tools in order to do my job. I've been fighting this exact problem for over 3 years now.