Re: [avr-libc-dev] [patch #7830] avr-libc headers are very outdated

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [patch #7830] avr-libc headers are very outdated
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:04:04 +0200

On 14/08/2012 22:50, Weddington, Eric wrote:

Ah, ok.

That package contains *patches* to the indicated released versions.
Since the avr-libc and avr-gdb subdirectories are empty, that means
that there were no patches to the released versions that was used in
building the AVR Toolchain.

We're working right now to correct that for the next (upcoming)
release of AVR Toolchain to make sure that we also offer the full
modified source in addition to the patches.

Will you keep the patches clearly available as well? The full modified source is easiest for people who want to re-build the toolchain as-is, but I think that will be relatively few people (users of BSD are probably the biggest group). The patches let people try out different things, such as applying the patches to newer versions of gcc.

Incidentally, is there a source of the patches other than via Atmel's website and the toolchain downloads? It doesn't hinder me unduly that you have to fill in a form to register for each download (though it irritates me immensely), but I can imagine that some people disapprove of it. I would expect that people making packages for Debian, for example, would be uncomfortable with the idea. Is there any sort of publicly available website showing the current list of patches, or an overview of what they are? (This is just out of curiosity on my part.)

Of course, the ideal situation is that there are no patches - but gcc development does not tend to work like that!

mvh.,

David

Hope that helps.

Eric Weddington