[avr-libc-dev] [bug #35500] --gc-sections doesn't track use via --defsym

From: Don Kinzer
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #35500] --gc-sections doesn't track use via --defsym
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:17:13 +0000

        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 1.6.7
           Fixed Release: None

Details:

I'm not sure that this is the right place to report this problem but I'll do
so as a first step.

I have a use case where I need to perform link-time mapping of a function call
to one of several differently named candidates having the same parameter lists
and return type.  In the actual use case all of the candidate functions are in
a library but that fact is not relevant to the problem that arises.

The attached .c and makefile can be used to observe the problem.  In this
simple test case, main calls a non-existent function "foo" and the linker
option --defsym,foo=foo2 is used to map the call to the desired function. If
the link step is performed without the --gc-sections option, the resulting
executable is correct as shown in this .lss excerpt:

000000e0 <main>:
  e0:   f7 df           rcall   .-18            ; 0xd0 <foo2>
  e2:   ff cf           rjmp    .-2             ; 0xe2 <main+0x2>

However, adding --gc-sections to the link options produces this code with
warning or error messages:
000000c8 <main>:
  c8:   9b df           rcall   .-202           ; 0x0 <__vectors>
  ca:   ff cf           rjmp    .-2             ; 0xca <main+0x2>

The resulting load image contains none of the candidate functions indicating
the the linker code that eliminates unused functions believed that they were
all unused even though "foo2" should have been marked as used.

This issue was observed with v4.3.3.  I haven't tested this with a later
version of the toolchain.

File Attachments:

Date: Fri 10 Feb 2012 08:17:12 AM PST  Name: t.c  Size: 210B   By: dkinzer

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=25040>