Re: [avr-libc-dev] Build of SVN trunk completely broken

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Build of SVN trunk completely broken
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:22:44 +0100

As Jan Waclawek wrote:

> The mentioned changeset attempts to fix the problem which causes the
> binary library form of Carlos Lamas's functions for accessing >64kW
> FLASH be broken ever since included in avr-libc v1.7 …

> While the userbase who wish to use said functions might be a
> negligible minority, I think it is still inappropriate to have
> functions in the library which are known to fail in runtime.

That's OK, but a library that doesn't compile at all is even worse
than a library that fails at runtime for just a few devices.

> So I would suggest to either find a more appropriate fix for the
> problem, ...

That's certainly still intended, and the respective bug report is
still open as "In Progress".  However, I could not afford the time to
track more things down *right now*, but needed a release with those
things that have already been fixed quite urgently (in particular, the
inclusion of <math.h> in <util/delay.h>).  I also had to tackle some
other things down before the release (like, finding a way to not spam
every user of <avr/pgmspace.h> with dozens of warning lines, even if
those users don't ever intend to use the deprecated typedefs).

That's life, time is just a finite resource.

I just re-committed the patch from changeset 2257.  (Ironically, it
got the revision 2275. ;-)