Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 09:19:27 +1300

Quick heads-up before I rush to work

On Tue 01 Nov 2011 03:08:57 NZDT +1300, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I've only been grumbling since a half-sentence just saying that "newer
> versions suffer from various problems" apparently has such an
> influence to make people not even trying newer toolchain versions when
> they were probably be better served with them.

Yes, but...

> the newer versions a try.  GCC 4.6.2 has just been released, so it's a
> good idea to peek at his work by trying it.

I've been trying for 3 days now (incl half a weekend) to get 4.6.2 to
compile and I have to say build instructions are shockingly bad. What
worked for 4.3.3 just wasted 3 days for me. I have quite a bit of
experience in compiling packages and have only just now been successful
in getting the software to compile (making packages is more work now).
Asking for the critical bits on avr-gcc brought up basically nothing,
which suggests to me nobody really actually knows.

Unless there is better information beginners will definitely not try new
versions for a plain practical reason: can't build, can't no do.

I'll post more information later in the hope someone will be able to put
it up in some obvious place on the avr-gcc project pages.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann
http://volker.dnsalias.net/     Please do not CC list postings to me.