Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:08:57 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> So please realize that they are not *trying* to spread FUD. They
> just don't have the resources to tackle the toolchain issues
> in-depth.

I've only been grumbling since a half-sentence just saying that "newer
versions suffer from various problems" apparently has such an
influence to make people not even trying newer toolchain versions when
they were probably be better served with them.

I don't want to blame the Arduino folks too much on this, but given
the publicity they've got, they have to be really careful in their
wording when going public, because several thousands developers will
immediately proceed to take their words as being from the horse's
mouth.

So back to everyone, Johann (Georg-Johann Lay) has been *really*
active lately in fixing bugs, even smaller ones, those typical "missed
optimization" things that always annoyed people.  He really did a lot
in that area, and I'm very thankful for all his work.  Wherever it was
possible and useful, he also backported bugfixes to the GCC 4.6 line,
so the very least everyone could do is to go ahead, and at least give
the newer versions a try.  GCC 4.6.2 has just been released, so it's a
good idea to peek at his work by trying it.