Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 19:11:39 +0200

As Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

> What is the reason people are not upgrading to 4.6? 4.4 and 4.5 are
> not recommended (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/Linux).

Just because someone at Arduino thinks ``4.4.x and 4.5.x seem to have
various problems'' is enough to make you not using them?

*Any* software of reasonable complexity always has ``various
 problems'', nevertheless, people use software.

I know of exactly one nasty bug of the 4.5 line (PR target/46779, but
backporting the 4.6 fix for that is easy, I just didn't get around to
file it officially to the GCC patches list so someone could go ahead
and integrate the backport).  Apart from that, we're using it in a
production environment.

If you're serious about compiling your own, get at least a 4.5
version, ask me to get the fix for the nasty bug, and then try
backporting the C++ progmem fix yourself.  Don't waste your time on
attempting to backport something to a completely dead compiler
version, just because someone at Arduino thinks you must not use a
newer compiler.