[avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #28837] using PSTR with c++ produces warnings
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:42:01 +0000

Follow-up Comment #5, bug #28837 (project avr-libc):

Thanks Jörg. Those warnings are getting quite irritating in eclipse when
there are a lot of them!

My suggestion has one drawback: Specifying sections in local variables gives a
warning too, so I'm not sure what to do. Backport the gcc fix :-) it looks
like it could be quite a while before it becomes available by normal upgrade.

The alternative is to declare the progmem variable extern first and then
define it, but that has the same local variable problem.

I don't see any point in changing the section name, looking at the linker
script shows that pretty much as long as it start with .progmem it's much of a
muchness. The only requirement is to separate variable that are const into a
differently named section from those not const. No functional difference, it's
only to avoid the linker error. Maybe there's another way, but I can't think
of a way to deal with progmems declared in functions. :-(

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28837>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/