[avr-libc-dev] XMega Watchdog clock domains not synchronized?

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] XMega Watchdog clock domains not synchronized?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:08:23 -0400

Trying to find out why my XMega 128A1 keeps resetting I noticed this
in the XMega Manual:

11.7.3 STATUS – Watchdog Status Register

Bit 0 - SYNCBUSY
When writing to the CTRL or WINCTRL registers, the WDT needs to be
synchronized to the
other clock domains. During synchronization the SYNCBUSY bit will be
read as one. This bit is
automatically cleared after the synchronization is finished.
Synchronization will only take place
when the ENABLE bit for the Watchdog Timer is set.

I do not see where this clock domain synchronization is accounted for
in avr/wdt.h wdt_enable().
Am I missing something?

App Note AVR1321 for the RTC32 explains the cross clock domain  issue,
however it doesn't really say what happens in the Watchdog or the RTC
case if things are not in sync.

Seems like this would cause the watchdog to not be enabled at random
times when wdt_enable() is used in the XMega parts.