Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding sections to default linker script for >64kBFLA

From: Jan Waclawek
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Adding sections to default linker script for >64kBFLASH devices
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 07:34:21 +0200

> Sure. :-) I haven't had a chance to review the links yet...
>
> But what did you have in mind?

It's to provide users an easy way to place potentially big constant data
explicitly into the upper portions of FLASH in the >64kB .

Honestly, I know this is a thing which would help only a minority of AVR users,
and quite a bit of unpleasant organisational work (e.g. pestering the binutil
peoplpe), so I expected it to be entirely ignored by the developer community
exactly as it happened since the last time I threw it up. So, if the
precondition to accept it is a discussion on this forum, then it won't be
accepted ever simply because there's nobody willing to discuss.

While I know all this and honestly don't care enough to push it further,
recently, several things happened: two users asked basically for the same
feature on AVRFreaks on the same day, one complained about the nonfunctionality
of the _PF stuff (I reported elsewhere), Johann told that there is a chance of
getting the named spaces to work in a relatively near future (with the aim to
implement the progmem stuff correctly, which is a point where the far-progmem
stuff might got to be implemented correctly, too), and you told that you are
going to issue a new edition of WinAVR soon. Cumulatively, these gave me the
impulse to make this post.

Jan Waclawek