[avr-libc-dev] [bug #33913] Make MCUSR an alias to MCUCSR on all devices

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #33913] Make MCUSR an alias to MCUCSR on all devices
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 21:30:39 +0000

Update of bug #33913 (project avr-libc):

             Assigned to:                    None => arcanum

Follow-up Comment #1:

The I/O header files define the register names according to the XML device
files that are shipped with AVR Studio.

There have been occasional device header files where the register names were
changed after release, or there was a mistake in the creation of the header
file. In these cases you may end up having both MCUSR and MCUCSR, but in
reality only one name is correct. Where there is an alias, the alias name is
deprecated.

One way to use either name in your application code is to check for both names
and define a 3rd name to either one, or check for one name and define it to
the other one. Do something like this in one of your header files:

#if defined(MCUCSR)
#define MCUSR MCUCSR
#endif

However, it is not guaranteed that the the bit definitions are exactly equal
in both register definitions, or across AVR devices. There may (or may not) be
variations that you might have to account for in your code.

But, we will not be adding aliases to the I/O header files. Each I/O header
file is supposed to represent the XML device file (and by extension, the
datasheet) only. It is best to build other systems, such as a Hardware
Abstraction Layer, on top of these I/O header files.

Closing as wontfix.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?33913>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/