Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-gcc, libgcc.a and libgcov.a

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-gcc, libgcc.a and libgcov.a
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 11:24:31 -0600

Hi Chris,

Mostly, yes.

Libgcc is absolutely needed as it contains certain math library routines and
other routines that gets used in the startup code. Libgcov is generally not
needed, and I'm not sure that it even works for the AVR.

Yes, the include files that GCC installs are useful. For example GCC installs
stdbool.h and stdint.h. I use bot of those extensively in an AVR application.
Other header files may not be used as much, but typically they are standard
files so should be available for any conforming target.

Yes, there is fixed point math available for the AVR via a patch from a
volunteer, and should be in the latest AVR Toolchain release from Atmel. We're
currently working on getting that patch committed upstream along with some
others.

So overall, yes most of them are absolutlely needed, or very useful to have.
Avr-libc does not provide everything. Sure there are some things that are
borderline, but at this point it hasn't been worth the time to go in and
pinpoint disable certain things. I know that there has been some recent work on
the GCC toplevel to reorganize how it works. Perhaps when this work is done it
might be easier to do that.

HTH,
Eric Weddington