RE: [avr-libc-dev] Patches for 1.7.1?

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Patches for 1.7.1?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:16:57 -0600

Putting Atmel's patches on the website was only required to conform to the
GPLv3 license. It is required to conform to the GPLv3 license regardless of how
AVR Studio 5 is labeled. The GPLv3 doesn't care if you call it a "beta" release
or not. If you convey the executable (object) code to a user, you are required
to provide the source code. And this was only required for GNU Binutils, GCC,
and GDB as they are the ones with a GPLv3 license.

Putting patches to other projects on the Atmel website is only a nice
convenience to the rest of the user community. But if Atmel is going to provide
such a convenience, then it behooves you to make sure that it actually works.

> Regarding public or non-public devices. Atmel do have some devices that
> needs some basic support and Atmel wants to have that in the toolchain.
>
> For the non-public parts Atmel need to keep header files and some other
> description files away from public. I am sure you all can understand
> that.

Yes, absolutely. Then don't provide those avr-libc patches in the publicly
available patch set. That should solve the build error problem.

> avr-libc has made itself dependent on some header file info to be able
> to generate a crt0.o file for each device. I would like that dependency
> to be removed (like other libc project is not dependent on each devices
> header files), so that Atmel can release non-public packages to
> customers that are entitled to that to get support for an non-public
> device without recompiling avr-libc. I hope that can be possible in the
> future.

Probably not. This is the way that is has been working for years. Recompiling
avr-libc is not that big of a hassle. You have to recompile binutils and gcc
anyway. I was able to provide private part support for customers without
requiring any changes.