[avr-libc-dev] [bug #17216] change to the ../util/delay.h header for inc

From: Bill Perry
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] [bug #17216] change to the ../util/delay.h header for increased functionality
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 21:15:22 +0000

Follow-up Comment #6, bug #17216 (project avr-libc):

Guys,
In my mind bug #30363 solved the all the functional problems
and even enhanced the capabilities by adding some
additional rounding functionality/capabilities.

For me, what remains is whether or not a new function should be added.

1) _delay_ns()
This is a convenience function for those people that are using
the delays for very short hardware type delay setup timing.
For some reason there was some passionate objection to this
function on avrfreaks. Not sure why in that many of the issues
brought up also exist in the other _delay_xx() functions.

NOTE:
There is some other rambling in this bug report (by me)
that was mainly do to state of things at the time
(the inability to accurately control the delay behavior
and get accurate cycle rounding).

At this point, all my rambling comments can be
ignored because of the additional functionality
that is already available in the
latest <util/delay.h> provided by the update in #30363
and now that __builtin_avr_delay_cycles() is available.

It is now possible to easily get very accurate cycle delays
and also get accurate time based delays from <util/delay.h>
with user definable cycle rounding - which is what my requests
for added functionality were really about.

The only thing left (for me) is the possibility of adding a
_delay_ns() function.

--- bill

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?17216>

  Message sent via/by Savannah