RE: [avr-libc-dev] Feature wishlisht

From: Boyapati, Anitha
Subject: RE: [avr-libc-dev] Feature wishlisht
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 03:28:13 +0800

Here comes my basic question - we do have libstdc++ in gcc already. However we
are not building it for AVR-8 as of now. So what is the requirement for another
library? To me it appears that libstdc++ can be built with a bootstrapped
compiler (if it is possible).

>Likewise, 64-bit doubles are on the wishlist (as an option to the
>current implementation), but again, this is much of a compiler issue
>rather than library only.  My preference would be a compiler option
>much like we've got -mint8, so perhaps "-mdouble32" which enables the
>current behaviour, defaulting to double being 64 bits as this is what
>the ISO C standard asks for (well, sort of, but they're asking for
>*more* than 32-bit FP for the "double" datatype, and while 48 bits
>would satisfy their requirements, it's IMHO not possible to implement
>a 48-bit datatype in GCC).

This is still a mystery to me. When BITS_PER_UNIT/WORD is modified, the sizes
of INT/LONG get affected. Implementing 48-bit double is definitely not straight
forward (or may be not possible? To be confirmed)

Anitha